Nowadays, there is a wide range of exercises for shaping, toning, and strengthening the lower body to get perfectly slender legs and a curvaceous buttocks. But, since there are so many exercises to choose from, we have selected the most simple and best exercises for the lower body for you to fulfill your goal of achieving the perfect, legs and buttocks.
Before doing these exercises, you should start with a light warm-up to get your body ready for working out. Set a goal of being able to do at least 30 reps for each set.
Set 1: Smooth Leg Raises from the Prone Position
This exercise requires you to alternate legs and repeat from a prone position.
- With your hands prop your body onto your right knee while stretching out your left leg.
- Begin raising your left leg slowly for as high as you can and then lowering it back down again and repeating for the set number of reps.
- Change to your right leg and repeat.
Set 2: Alternating jumping lunges
Start out with 10-12 reps, alternating between legs each time you land from the jump, and gradually work your way up to 30 reps.
- Lunge forward with your left while keeping your back straight and your right knee lower than the left one.
- With the help of your arms jump up as high as you can and change your legs bringing your right leg forward and putting your left leg behind while in the air.
- Upon landing immediately get down into a lunge but now with your right leg forward and left knee lower than the right one and repeat for the set number of reps.
Set 3: Sidelong Bows with a Dumbbell
If you aren’t a member of a gym and don’t have dumbbells at home you can use a 17 fl. Oz which is a 0.5 L bottle instead, to execute this exercise.
- Hold the dumbbell or bottle in your right hand and place your left hand on your waist.
- Step left, bend your knee and bow down while keeping your back straight and turning your torso to align it with your right leg.
- Touch your left ankle with your right hand while keeping your right legs straight and your left leg bent at the knee.
Set 4: Jump Crunches
In comparison to the other exercises for the lower body, this exercise may require a little extra effort. While you may not be able to do 30 jumps on your very first attempt, it would be best to divide this exercise into 3 sets of 10 reps each. Also, keep a 1 minute rest interval in between each set.
- From a standing position, bend your knees a bit while drawing your arms back.
- Jump straight up, and try lifting your knees as high as you can in the air before landing and repeating for the consecutive reps.
Set 5: Side Leg Raises for the Outer Thigh
This exercise is great for working out the outer thigh muscles, but it also targets the buttocks as well.
- Lie down on your right side and use your hand to prop yourself up. For better stability, place your left hand firmly on the floor in front of you.
- Start raising and lowering your right leg slowly avoiding any sharp or high movements for the set number of reps.
- Change and repeat the same for your other leg.
Set 6: Side Leg Raises for the Inner Thigh
These leg raises are different from the previous ones as you will be working out your inner thigh muscles in this set of exercises for the lower body.
- Lie down on your right side and once again prop yourself with your hand.
- Bend your left leg and plant it firmly on the floor in front of you. Use your left hand to keep it still.
- Start raising and lowering your right leg slowly without any sharp or high movements for the required number of reps.
- Change sides and repeat this for your other leg.
Set 7: Dumbbell Lunges
Lunges are excellent exercises for the lower body. For dumbbell lunges, bend your leg at a precise right angle to, make the lunge deep. You can even use 17 fl. oz (0.5L) bottles in place of dumbbells.
- Stand with your back straight and with your hands at your sides with the dumbbells (or bottles) in each hand.
- Do a reverse lunge by stepping back instead of forward with your right leg and get back up and repeat with your left leg.