Everybody wants to get a fit and toned body before summer, but not all of us want to make the effort to go to the gym. But, at times we do work up the willpower to get up and make it there. But, what if we told you there is an alternative where you don’t have to get off your chair to go to the gym to work out? Yes indeed, there are exercises which can be done while sitting on a chair as well.
These exercises can help you get the same benefits as the ones you would perform at the gym to tone your body. Most of these exercises focus on the core and waist and can be done even in your office or at home when you are sitting in front of the TV.
1. Warm up
It doesn’t matter how long your workout lasts, you will still need to warm up your muscles to get the most out of the exercises you will be performing soon. This exercise will warm up your muscles for just that.
Here’s what you have to do:
- Be seated at the edge of your chair and place your hands on your knees.
- Lean back smoothly while contracting the abdominals and keep your back straight.
- It doesn’t matter if your back touches the chair at some point. However, do not put your weight on it.
- Now, slowly come back to your starting position and repeat this.
- Reps: 10-12.
2. Oblique twists
Twisting your obliques will not only help in getting them toned but will also make them stronger. For this exercise you will need to twist your oblique muscles.
- Sit at the edge of your chair and bend your arms.
- Now, place your arms behind your head and rotate your trunk to the right.
- While rotating, make sure that your legs and your hip remain completely still.
- Hold this position for 3 seconds and then rotate to the left and hold again for 3 seconds.
- Reps: 10 for each side.
3. Lean forward
This exercise targets the abdominal muscles and works them out just as well as traditional twists do.
- Place your hands behind your head and clasp your fingers.
- Begin leaning forward and returning back slowly. However, do not use your arms to assist your body while tilting back and forth.
- Reps: 15.
4. Knee-to-chest pulls
This exercise is a great workout for targeting all the muscles in your mid-section. It works out the rectus abdominis muscle, obliques, and even the muscles in the hips.
- Sit in a chair and make yourself comfortable.
- Bend one of your legs and pull it all the way up till your chest by taking your knee in your hand. Hold this position for 3 seconds and then let go.
- Return to the starting position and repeat with the other leg.
- Reps: 15 for each leg.
5. Knee-to-chest pulls and straightening your legs
You need to involve your legs if you want to have great abs. But, before you start make sure that your chair is steady.
- Lean back in your chair and bring your legs together.
- Pull both your knees to chest and hold it there for 3 seconds.
- While in this position straighten your legs and hold this position again for 3 seconds.
- Put your legs back down to the initial position and bend them and slowly pull them to your chest gain. Also, straighten them again.
- Reps: 10 times.
6. Bent knee rotations
This exercise targets the abs and works them out well.
- Get into the same starting position as the knee-to-chest pulls in which you straighten your legs.
- Pull your bent knees all the way to your chest.
- Begin rotating your legs while making sure that your whole leg is engaged and not just your toes. It is the best way to pump your abs out.
- Reps 10.
This abs workout also engages the muscles of the hip to give you a better well-defined six pack.
- Lean back in your chair and use your hands to hold both sides of the seat.
- Straighten out your legs and raise them.
- Spread your legs out to the side and then cross one leg over the other in the middle. Then cross the opposite leg over and repeat.
- Duration: 1 minute.
Some important pointers to remember
These seated workouts are extremely simple and you even get the added advantage of doing them while sitting in your chair. But, you will also have to maintain a healthy diet if you want to lose the excess weight. Follow these tips to help you reach your goals faster:
- According to your age, sex, and lifestyle consume the recommended amount of calories necessary for your body. A 25-year-old woman who leads a sedentary lifestyle needs to consume approximately 2,000 calories per day.
- Keep a balanced diet in which half of your daily intake contain carbohydrates, 30% contain proteins, and 20% contain fats.
- It is necessary to eat products containing omega-9 or oleic acids as it prolongs the feeling of fullness which satiates our hunger and prevents us from over-eating. Certain foods which contain this specific kind of acid include turkey, trout, avocado, and olive and peanut oils.